Monday, December 8, 2008

Quiet time.

On my 13-hour flight to Hong Kong...


Of all the things I look forward to, in the hectic state that I was in this morning as I feverishly packed my bags, I most looked forward to some down-time on my flight. 


Funny. It's often what most people dread the most when it comes to cross-Pacific travel. 


But I quite like flying. I like going to the airport. I like the prospect of leaving for a journey, no matter how short, no matter how familiar it might be. And as it has became so often that I would travel alone, I enjoy sitting quiet at the boarding gate, often with a book in hand and listening to my ipod. It's my protected time. Nothing matters anymore once I'm at the gate. The bags are checked, the rush to the airport is behind me. There is nothing else to do but wait. And it's nice. 


Then, on the plane, I often quickly settle into my seat with my abundance of conveniences before more - my bottle of water that I brought just before boarding, my ipod, a book, maybe a diary, a magazine, and sometimes a few snacks - all shoved into the little seat pocket in front of me. For the next 13 hours, it is just me and me alone. I can do whatever. I don't even have to sleep if I don't feel like it. It is a time for relaxation. No tasks to really do. No timeline to follow. 


So far, I've watched one movie (Tropic Thunder), read though today's paper, read through the LX3 instruction booklet, and did a few work on my computer with my photos. About another 9 hours to go. Gonna watch a few more movies, and maybe even try to finish my book, finally. 


And of course, I still look forward to my airplane meals. I've always enjoyed them. I don't know why. So far, I have still only found one person who has shared my enthusiasm for airplane food, and even her interest is fading, I think. 


What should I do now? It's nice to have time on my hands for a change. 


No comments: