Monday, December 15, 2008

Foreign ghost.

你是外國回來的?


“huh.... 是的。。。


我又給人點了像啦。。。


I don't know what gave it away. She said it was the way I dressed. I rather think it was the way I must have looked dorky, the way I looked uneasy in the mist of all these sales-harassment I was getting. I was fraggergasted and couldn't hold my ground (I didn't buy anything, but ended up trying on a bunch of flashy jackets that I couldn't really wear on the street in Vancouver unless I was going to a club or wanted to dress as a pimp). 


Yesterday, I was so happy I finally found one of my favorite hang-outs in Hong Kong in the past several visits - East 188 Shopping Center - a small, narrow, hidden, arrangement of alleys hidden among upstairs on a side street in Wan Chai. It holds a host of curious "Honger" items such as little anime figures, funky jewelries, japanese comics, video games, sometimes pirated DVDs or even x-rated movies, and quite a selection of trendy boutiques selling clothes often by the designers themselves. As much as it is always an inspirating adventure to wander through there, it often feels a little intimitating to me, because it's also where a lot of the young folks go to shop, and young people in Hong Kong has lots of attitude. I often feels very self-conscious as I wander through those shops, looking at stuff but fearing getting too much attention from the bored sales people.  I think all too often it is WAY too obvious that I have no true intention of buying - an attitude that would earn me "the eye" from a lot of the store owners. These places are also places where you would like to bargain on a purchase, and coming off as a foreigner instantly puts me at an disadvantage. 


我這個樣,給人食左都悟知啦!



No comments: