Sunday, January 31, 2010

Happy Birthday to Mom!

I have a tendency to celebrate people's birthdays over three days...

Years ago, I decided to make my friend Queenie a birthday meal. I forgot what happened. Somehow she talked me into making her another. Then something else happened. I think in the end I made her three meals. She was thrilled.

This year, we decided to celebrate Mom's birthday (which is on a Saturday) by cooking her a Friday night dinner, a Saturday morning breakfast, and a Sunday evening cake. It was fun to hug my Jamie Oliver cookbook again and improvise on some dishes. In addition, I got more help from good old foodnetwork.com recipes.

Friday night I made her a nice Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil and Arugula Pasta, courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis of food network. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/linguine-with-shrimp-and-lemon-oil-recipe/index.html) As a side (become Mom loves Potatoes) I also made Jamie Oliver's new potatoes in lemon capers dressing alongside a fresh steamed Lobster.




Saturday morning I decided to follow Jamie Oliver's frittata idea but improvised with whatever I had in the fridge. In the end I made a Grilled Asparagus and Roasted Bell Pepper Frittata with a side Rosemary Straw Potatoes. It was the first time making a frittata. Watching it rise in the oven was amazing, and it looked remarkable and tasted even better.





Then Sunday night I had the urge to make some meringue, and so together with Mom we made a lovely Lemon Meringue Pie, spiked with lemoncello liquor and Grand Marnier. It was successful but I could have added a little more alcohol. Haha.


No comments: