Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fun Food Blog: Modern Club Teppanaki Restaurant


I always thought it was gone forever.

Probably more than 10 years ago, my old buddy Andy took me to this cozy little teppanaki restaurant on Dunbar to ty their Okonomiyaki, the only place in Vancouver to have these. For those who haven't tried it, Okonomiyaki is a version of the traditional Japanese "pancake" from Osaka, made with a mixture of cabbage and various veggies with various meats held together by a light egg batter and grilled on the hotplate. It's as much fun watching them make it as it is to eat it, and I guarantee your clothing will smell smoky afterwards. It unique and delicious. Somehow, I managed to forget both the name and location of the restaurant, and even though I've ventured around Dunbar numerous times, it never actually stood out enough for me to find it again. Eventually, I thought it had closed and forever left Vancouver and its lingering tastebugs...

Then a few weeks ago I spoke to an Uncle who knew that area well, and he told me that the place never left. I was so excited. I had to take my parents there. Finally!



We went on my birthday. It was as great as it was ten years ago. I'm not sure if the owners are the same, but their crafts was just as perfect. We tried two versions of the pancakes, one with grilled soba noodles and one without. I highly recommended getting one with mixed meats and prawns. As for the noodles, they are a nice touch but make it much more filling.

If you ever go, try to also try another version that they got, which is the pancake made not with cabbage but with green onions and mushrooms. We were too filled to try it, but it looked amazing.

I loved that this restaurant stayed open all these years. I hope that it will never close. It's the perfect setting for a nice interesting evening with unique food that you don't always get elsewhere. I love these little home-style restaurants. It's like travelling without having to pack your bags. Highly recommended.

No comments: