Sunday, February 28, 2010

With Glowing Hearts.

Wow. What a party.

What a rush.

Jolly people everywhere you go. Flag-bearing patriots eager to show their pride. Tons of enthusiasm like you've never seen people. Flocks of happy people jamming the streets, flags and beach balls and all. Horns sounding, music blasting, lights shining up into the sky as if to light up this city to be visible from outer space.

Everywhere you go, it's about people coming together and celebrating the combined passion of nations. It's always about, "WE won this.. WE won that..." Everything is a collective effort. Even though none of us did any part in any of these athletes' successes, we view their triumphs as our collective reward. "We want gold," we'd say, and when we get it, "WE got gold!"

I love seeing this collective enthusiasm. I find it quite amazing, these Olympic games, in how they bring people together, to celebrate the competitive spirit, but always in a respectable, honorable way. Athletes battle each other because their lives depends on it. Spectators battle each other in voices and in passion because we love getting into it. This is when nations truly become one, and people join forces because we love celebrating our likeness, not differences.

We see hockey teams, comprised entirely of leadership talents from all different professional teams, some of whom had battled each other to the bone in previous competitions, willingly and passionately setting aside all differences, instantly becoming brothers-in-arms towards a common goal. Their motivation might be self-serving, because they want to be Olympic champions. But their efforts define national pride, and their actions become larger than their lives could ever be.

It's funny, when the games begin, because of what I was going through mentally, I was almost completely disinterested in the games. I came to my senses only days before the Opening Ceremony and realized how special it would be to allow my parents to go, and I luckily found them tickets to be there. Watching the ceremony on TV did catch my attention, but I never caught the bug until well into the games. I drove by city venues without feeling the urge to visit them. I watched events on TV without really urging my fellow Canadians on.

All changed when I start noticing how happy, how excited, and how passionate these games have made everyone feel on the streets. The city has done an amazing job making these games become everybody's games, not just the athletes'. It's a straight 17-day party that never had a low moment. Citizens and tourists rejoice in the live atmosphere that is filled with live music and wonderful lighting. Giant LCD televisions plastered at every corner and in every restaurant allowing you to live the athletic excitement wherever you go. It makes you want to become part of this. It makes you want to be involved. When my Dad came home super excited one day, and he usually hates crowds and avoids them at all costs, I knew that the city had had it right this time.

With one day to go, I already know I'm going to miss this. This has been 17 unbelievable days, and I'm very thankful that my work schedule allowed me to almost not miss any part of this experience. I'm very thankful I got a chance in the end to volunteer for the second week, as I've always enjoy being a part of something instead of just being a spectator. I'm going to miss riding home on the Canada line after every shift. I'm going to miss seeing all these happy people from all over the world and all their friendly faces. I'm going to miss all this positive energy, and all the reasons to celebrate day after day. I'm going to miss having this sustained excitement throughout the two weeks. When all things go back to normal, it is going to feel very, very, nostalgic.

There's one more day to go. I hope that tomorrow will bring some magic to Canada's men hockey team.

Go Canada Go.

No comments: