Sunday, July 19, 2009

Officially stood up for the first time (not intentionally, but the record still stands!)

What a beautiful day to be stood up. 


I don't usually agree to being set up, especially on a blind date. The whole notion of agreeing to a formal evening with dating potential always feel artificial and forced. I always believed that the first date should not be a date officially, but only afterwards should you realized, "hey, she was nice, maybe that WAS a date!" Nonetheness, when Wilson blind-sided me last Monday morning when he asked in front of my fellow residents, "Hey! You're single! I got a girl for you!", I foolishly agreed. I thought maybe it's time I act my age and agree to formal evenings with dating potentials. 


Besides, he says she's really attractive. With endorsements like that why should I really refuse. 


So we picked a beautiful setting for the double date (he and Daisy was going to come for moral support). We decided on the Watermark Restaurant, right in front of the now officially third sexiest beach in the world according to Fodor. The weather was perfect for a dinner at a beachside patio. All day long I apprehensively felt anxious about what I had gotten myself into. Be chatty but not too much, I thought. Be funny but not stupid. Be a gentleman but be natural. It was all somewhat in vain, for I had never believed in being set up and secretly assumed that we would not get along, that I may find her non-compatible, she may find me un-datable, and we would move on our merry ways after I folk over a large amount of money for the dinner. 


Still, I told myself to be gentlemanly and even if I knew things wouldn't work in the first minute, to sit through the meal, be sociable, and move on. 


I carefully selected my wardrobe. Causal summer-white linen shirt with stylish slim jeans and a matching white belt. I kept it at one-button down at the chest to be modest, but tugged it in to make it more slim-fitting. I sprayed on some Hugo Boss cologne, not too much but enough to be teasing. I donned on my Armani watch that I got from my brother and sister-in-law, and my RayBan-like shades that I got from Lawrence which he found in his apartment when he moved out. I even got there early for a change, and paid 8 dollars in parking at the Kitsilano parking lot. I got to the restaurant and got a nice patio table that's not too hot but not too private. Enough activity to stimulate conversations, I thought, but not too sunny that the girls will be afraid of too much of a tan. 


And then I waited. Ice water in my hand, I waited and waited. 


Wilson didn't turn his cell phone on initially, so I texted him a message. They must be waiting downstairs, I thought, and so I went downstairs by the beach. And I waited, trying to look happy and calm, I waited. 


And then I finally got through to him. Daisy had been sick today, so they had to cancel and he had left me a message earlier this morning (I didn't get the message). He was sorry, but I was actually feeling quite relieved. 


Pressure's off. No need to sit through a whole evening if things don't work out. I can even get some more work done tonight that I've been delaying. I'm saved.


To some degree, it was too bad. I would never know what she would be like. Maybe she was the right girl. Maybe she's not but I would have made a nice friend. But I think I'm much more comfortable with getting to know a girl on my own terms before seeing if we have the potential to become a couple. Let things be natural, to me that's the most beautiful of relationships. 





1 comment:

Matt W said...

Hey Keith, just wanted to say hello and thanks for posting. I always appreciate your posts as being very honest and genuine and an interesting window into your life. Thanks for sharing!
-Matt W