Monday, July 27, 2009

My little Blue Devil.

Not a bad day 1 of work. 

For the first week here I seem to be assigned more anesthesia than emerg, which is just fine because it allows me to focus my learning a little. Today I worked with someone equivalent to a medicine-freak-of-nature. He's a South African doc (surprise, surprise), and while he's a GP by training, he does a lot of anesthesia, a lot of emerg, some ICU, plus all kinds of small procedures such as C-sections, appendectomies, tonsillectomies, carpal tunnel releases, and of course your run-of-the-mill family practice. He also travels a lot, and goes back regularly to South Africa where he has his beach house. It's quite remarkable what one man can do, and quite confidently at that. These are the things you see out here when you do rural "family practice". 

I also brought a used bike today. It was a tip from my roommate, that someone was running a home shop called "Grandpa's bikes", where "Grandpa" collects and fixes up old bikes and resells them for $10, 20, or 30. My boss was kind enough to take me there, and I brought one for $20, my little blue devil. It's not like my hybrid back home, but it's perfect for moving me around this small town. I ended up spending more money on a lock and a helmet ($15 and 15). It's so different when you have a bike to take you places. Moving around town is a breeze now. 

Things are shaping up. There's even a gym at the hospital where I can go work out. I have what I need to enjoy the month. Time now for a little studying. 


My little Blue Devil in front of Dawson Creek.

No comments: