Thursday, July 27, 2017

Funking it up on Mars.






I never really went to concerts when I was growing up. They always felt expensive, excessive, sort of a luxury that although not necessarily out of reach, but just unnecessary spending. After all, I can get my fix of their music from a CD, or nowadays, youtube or sportify. Why pay sometimes close to a hundred bucks (for the cheaper seats usually) to go to a concert and hear all the same songs?

Well, because sometimes the experience makes it really, really, worthwhile.

Bruno Mars was wonderful tonight. After the expected delay in start time (show was scheduled for 8pm, then after the opening act, Mars took almost an hour to change stage, starting the show at almost close to 9:30pm. However, once the stage emerges, it is clear why they chose to take so long (well, probably part of that delay was still simply for the effect).

The stage was one of the best I've seen yet (which, to be honest, doesn't count for a lot for a non-concert goer like me). But the numerous mobile pieces, the LED stage displays and lighting, and the intermittent pyro and fire displays made it all the more impressive.

And it was loud. Perhaps the loudest concert I've been to yet (again, small sample size, I know).

Mars and his band, the Hooligans, were funky. They were playful. They goofed. They sang. And they danced, a lot, non stop.

In fact, right from the get-go, it seemed the entire audience danced with them, all night long. I sat down for a song or two. But for the majority of goers, they didn't touch their seats at all. I almost felt guilty sitting down. Such a non-fan, I know.

Swaying, tapping, clapping. Some, dare I say it, almost looked like they were grinding.

It was a treat. Mars sang his little heart out. Sweaty like a pig. He must have went through ten towels tonight. And I loved his causal demeanor, singing in a baseball sweater and cap outfit (he didn't change outfit at all), holding on to a towel wiping away as if he was at the gym during his songs. So much for star like qualities. He was just one of us.

Some concerts makes you fall in love with the artist a little bit, or at least makes you appreciate their music more. This was one. In the past, concerts like James Blunt, Eason Chan, and Damien Rice had very similar effect.

Concerts are worth going to. Some of them at least. Sure you don't walk away with anything tangible (not even a ticket stub to hold on to these days). But the experience would last, well, long enough, if not a life time.






No comments: